Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning images from Tri-X negatives
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:50:54 +0100

on 22/5/00 12:26 pm, Simon Lamb at s_lamb@compuserve.com wrote:

> I am trying to scan images from Tri-X negatives using a Coolscan III LS30
> and they all come out very overexposed.  I have turned off the colour
> management and am using the grayscale scanning option.  When I scan Scala
> slides they are great, it is just the Tri-X negatives.
>
> I can adjust the scanner to apply a -EV to the scan process but the scans
> then look very grainy and I do not particlularly like changing the images
> too much.  The printed Tri-X images are fine.
>
> The tenuous link to Leica is that I have taken the images with my M6!
>
> Any ideas on how to do good scans would be welcome.

I have found that filmscanners like a thin neg. I used to expose Tri-X @ 320
habitually, but the negs were much too thick (looked 1-2 stops over), and I
changed my EI and exposure habits accordingly. A neg that will print nicely
is not necessarily one that will scan well, unfortunately. Interestingly,
this whole process raised my game considerably in terms of care in exposure,
and I find that I get much better grays and more assertive blacks since I
have adapted to a thinner neg. Also if you are developing your Tri-X in
Xtol, as I do, you may find that you get a better result with an EI of
something like 600 ASA, as I think there is a real speed increase. My
experience, anyway.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com