Subject: Re: [Leica] Paris et al
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 06:57:16 -0400

Laurent,
Merci pour l'information.

What is "le baiser de l'hotel de ville"?   City hall's kiss?  Curious.

Interesting about the effects of the EU on local laws like this.  What times we
are living in!  Not since the days of the Holy Roman Empire has there been such a
strong central European government.  And the more I read about it, the EU really
*is* a federal government just like you say.

Better watch out.  Here in the USA, we started out with a Federal government with
very limited authority and a bill of rights.  Slowly over the last 200 years it
has gotten stronger and stronger and power had been more and more centralized.  I
figure that's a general trend toward efficiency, so there will be strong
pressures in the EU to follow suit.

John