Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tiltall query
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:09:01 -0700

Rich,

No. My tripod (with a leitz label) is (as you suspected) black.
Also as you suggest, all the Tiltalls I saw in the 60's and 70's were
aluminum.

I was probably fooled by existing stock of the old version which ran out
just before I picked mine up. I thought the name had just changed (since the
price I was quoted also changed at that time).

But a little further research (after placing my foot in my mouth, of course)
seems to indicate that production was moved to N.J. in 1973 rather than in
1976. So, it's quite likely that the change to black and the change to Leitz
both happened long before I got involved...

My date (fram 1976) says nothing about whether there might have been an
earlier period where Black Tiltalls were made without the "E. Leitz" label
or aluminum finished tripods were made under the "E. Leitz" label.

I think your correction deserves airing on the LUG. Would you consider
posting it?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Tiltall query)