Subject: [Leica] Paris, subway & Tripod
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 18:22:09 -0700

Jean-Claude Berger wrote:

> Hi Ted,
>
> I missed your first post about this affair (am I alone to receive messages in
> random order?), so I hope I will not be off-topic.  I'm surprised that a "gendarme" could ask you to stop taking pictures because:
>
> 1) A "gendarme" has no authority in Paris<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bonjour Jean-Claude,

Excuse moi, I used "gendarme" in the loose term of "policeman."  Sorry.

But the two officers in question were Paris police officers patrolling
around the Arc de Triomph and quite firmly made their point of "no
tripod" and that I was a professional by using one. My niece who was my
guide/escort/ translator in a half dozen languages took up my cause and
explained I was a senior citizen amateur photographer visiting from
Canada and meant no harm by taking a few "snaps" to take home from "your
wonderful city."

They both were very gracious and courteous in explaining that if a
tripod were used in my picture taking it meant I was a professional and
couldn't use it.  There wasn't any question of permit or any other
formal way of using the tripod.  So she simply stated it quite simply in
English, "Knock it off Uncle Ted or you're in the slammer!"  Then smiled
at me and them.

I obediently closed the tripod! :-)

> 2) The tripod restriction rule has been cancelled at least three years ago.<<<<<<<

Maybe these two officers were behind the times. ;-)

> for your shooting. Of course, if you have 2 supermodels, a giant fan, an
> assistant to load film and another one to set exposure for you, you'll still
> need an authorization.<<<<<<<<<<

I don't know about the fan, assistant, exposure setter, but I'd sure
like to have a couple of those "super models" I've fantasized about! ;-)
  Oh la la Paris! :-) Oh sorry, I slipped for a moment, I meant to
photograph them of course with my R8 or M6 whichever was at hand first. ;-)

> There is NO restriction on taking pictures in public places nor on taking
> pictures of whatever you want. But there are restrictions on what you publish.
> You can't publish a picture of an easily recognizable (?) person, that excludes
> groups where nobody is pointed out, without his/her clearance. You can't publish
> a picture where a private real estate property (yes, including a field) is the
> main subject without clearance of the owner, you can't publish a picture where
> an object is protected by an "intellectual property" right without an
> authorization (and paying royalties) of the author (for example, Pei, the
> architect of the Louvres pyramid, could sue Pete for his picture at
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~psu/paris-louvre.jpg).<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I believe, as I've learned of late that in the stock photography system
that whether you took the picture with a Leica or not of someone's
property, be that a flower garden or their back yard, you must get a
"property release" or kiss the shot good bye for re-sale.  So the Paris
situation isn't any different in that respect than North America.

I realize this "property release" may seem strange to some LUGNUTS, but
it's called the facts of the modern day economic world.  Like, "Hey
buddy, you going to make a buck from something I created?  I want my
piece of the action also!"

> But beware that all places are not "public". For example, the Eiffel Tower
> belongs to a private company, so they may have specific rules (sorry I don't
> know them). Same thing goes for museums, churches, gardens and railways stations
> (though I've never seen anybody having troubles for shooting there).<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

As I mentioned previously, me and my M6 wandered around the Gare du Nord
for about an hour just shooting to my hearts content waiting for
departure time and I didn't have a hassle from anyone. People in
pictures nor authorities. Maybe it was that simple looking little M6
made me look like a "happy snapper" non-professional compared to a
shooter with an R8 or other SLR.

> Anyway, should future Paris visitors consider how convenient it is to carry a
> tripod in a city where 12 millions people mind their own business franticly and
> how comfortable you'll be with it in a subway wagon designed to carry 120
> persons and actually receiving 300 at least.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

An interesting little side story about the Paris subway.

We were going back to the hotel when I noticed a passenger standing
close to me checking out my R8 & 35-70, avec motor drive. I could tell
by his interest and expression this wasn't just a curious bystander, he
obviously knew cameras and certainly a Leica.

Then he sat down directly across from me, sort of knees to knees and
continued to look.  So I surprised the hell out of him, swung the camera
off my shoulder and handed it to him.  He was so surprised he opened his
bag and handed me his Nikon in return. So we exchanged cameras and a few
words and he was surprised by the motor drive and why I'd use it in
Paris with nothing moving, as in sports shooting.

I explained I only had one eye and the motor made a major difference in
shooting without removing the camera from my eye to advance after an
exposure. He nodded an affirmative, my niece indicated it was our stop,
we exchanged cameras and said, "Bonsoir."  going our ways.

Two photographers passing in the night on a subway train with no fear of
one ripping the other off, as there was the recognition of two
professionals one onto the other.  A very quiet encounter in Paris.

It's called,  feeling one professional for another even when the
language is limited, but the photography and recognition of fine
equipment is obvious!

Would I do it again in another area of the world?  Yep, it's called
feelings for one human being to another.  Besides where the hell was he
going to go with my R8 in a subway car you couldn't move in?  ;-)  Save
it guys, I'm not really that stupid! :-)

ted