Subject: RE: [Leica] Paris & Tripod
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:31:47 +0200

Hi Ted,

I missed your first post about this affair (am I alone to receive messages in
random order?), so I hope I will not be off-topic.

I'm surprised that a "gendarme" could ask you to stop taking pictures because:

1) A "gendarme" has no authority in Paris

2) The tripod restriction rule has been cancelled at least three years ago. You
may use tripods as far as you're alone and don't use other studio accessories
for your shooting. Of course, if you have 2 supermodels, a giant fan, an
assistant to load film and another one to set exposure for you, you'll still
need an authorization.

There is NO restriction on taking pictures in public places nor on taking
pictures of whatever you want. But there are restrictions on what you publish.
You can't publish a picture of an easily recognizable (?) person, that excludes
groups where nobody is pointed out, without his/her clearance. You can't publish
a picture where a private real estate property (yes, including a field) is the
main subject without clearance of the owner, you can't publish a picture where
an object is protected by an "intellectual property" right without an
authorization (and paying royalties) of the author (for example, Pei, the
architect of the Louvres pyramid, could sue Pete for his picture at
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~psu/paris-louvre.jpg).

But beware that all places are not "public". For example, the Eiffel Tower
belongs to a private company, so they may have specific rules (sorry I don't
know them). Same thing goes for museums, churches, gardens and railways stations
(though I've never seen anybody having troubles for shooting there).

I understand that the Louvres director and the Versailles president do not want
tripods on the wood floor. And understand too that if you deploy a tripod in
front of Notre-Dame at 10 AM when zillions tourists run in all directions a
policeman may ask you to go and trouble "public peace" elsewhere.

Anyway, should future Paris visitors consider how convenient it is to carry a
tripod in a city where 12 millions people mind their own business franticly and
how comfortable you'll be with it in a subway wagon designed to carry 120
persons and actually receiving 300 at least.

All the best,
- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)
Systems and RDBMS consultant (MCSE)