Subject: Re: [Leica] "Eyes" question
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:40:20 +1200

Hi Noel,

Taken from Stephen's site: http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

"The Earlier version of the DR focuses to 19" and is marked in either
feet or meters, but not both.  It is also marked in reproduction
rations from 1:15 to 1:.75.   The  "eyes" for these have the
"condenser" trademark, inside of which is "E. Leitz Wetzlar."

The Later version of the DR focuses to 20" and is marked in BOTH feet
and meters, without the repro ratios.  The "eyes" for this version
are  marked "Leitz Wetzlar" without the condenser trademark. The
second version also has wider and deeper knurling on the focusing
ring than the previous version.  I have noticed a "warmer" color of
lens coating on these later DR's, but am not sure if it extends to
ALL of this variety.    The lens head and glass appears to be
identical to the earlier version and to the rigid version, at least
from the outside."

Most of the other lenses that are goggled are fixed to their specs.
My 35/2.8's specs don't look like they're easily removed. My 2 minute
'Geez, i'd really like to buy this' inspection of a goggled Summilux
looked like the same configuration for the 35/2.8. I think the DR is
the only exception to this fixed goggle Leica policy.

All the best,
Gary 'we need more stinkin' goggles' Elshaw

At 10:35 PM -0700 21/5/2000, Noel wrote:
>From: "Noel H. Charchuk" <nhcharch@calcna.ab.ca>
>Subject: [Leica] "Eyes" question
>I was using my Summicron DR for some garden and wildflower photos this
>weekend. When taking the eyes off, and thinking about a set being sold by
>themselves on eBay, a question arose.
>How do you tell the various ones apart??? Mine has no marking on it, and
>it appears the main part of the unit could be common to all, and only the
>optical portion changed for the VF and RF functions of the various focal
>lengths.
>That raised another question, Is the dimensions of the slot or tab
>different for different lenses? Or how can you decide which eyes to use if
>you had a few of them loose in your camera bag
>Noel Charchuk
>Calgary
>  http://telusplanet.net/public/nhcharch
- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University