Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux viewfinder blocking
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:31:21 +1000

Walter Bell wrote:

> I am seriously considering making the leap to a Noctilux. for the low
> light, shallow depth of field shadow rendition capabilities. I currently
> have a 35 Summilux and a 50mm Summicron and do both color and B&W. The main
> remaining question for me is the viewfinder blockage (I have an M4 and an
> M6 0.72).
>
> What is the feeling of the Noctilux users out there on the view finder
> blockage issue?
>
> Walter Bell

Walter, Your brain will quickly adapt to the missing portion in the viewfinder.
After
a while you probably wont take any notice of it anymore.

I started off with the screw mount Leicas. If one gets used to the view finder
in this cameras, nothing much bothers you anymore.

If you can manage to by a Noctilux without feeling guilty, do it. In my opinion
if you use it wisely, you'll never regret it.

My favorite use for it is in the subways and underground railways, also in bars
and pubs.
Just think of it, being able to use 1/125 or 1/60,s and no flash. You don't
loose any of the atmosphere an available light shot can give you.. Don't ever
worry about the low depth of field at this wide apertures.

If it is to shallow, just try and move back a bit. But normally, it enhances
the picture.
Don't forget, the pupil of your eye is wide open too at this low lighting
levels and your own depth of field is less too.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

Replies: Reply from "Julian Thomas" <mimesis@btinternet.com> ([Leica] UK Leica service)