Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 08:58:39 +0100

on 20/5/00 1:28 am, Bmceowen@aol.com at Bmceowen@aol.com wrote:

> We shoot until we're discovered
> and then exchange glances and go on shooting or, if necessary, go explain
> what we're doing and THEN go back to shooting.

Bob, I appreciate that this isn't about you and me... I just return to my
own schtick cos it's all I can really speak from. So here goes:

But that's what I do! As I've said repeatedly on the SP list, the easiest
way to be inconspicuous is to do it openly. I walk around with a couple of
leicas, ten feet away from people. They know I'm there... even if only
afterwards. I don't habitually practise what we tend to call 'stealth'
photography.

> 1.) Would most street photographers be comfortable showing their photos to
> subjects and explaining to them why they took them, what they like about them
> and what the photos say about the human condition? If so, great. I'm just
> asking . . .

Yes, in many cases. But in the case of HT I would only want to do this if
they could see the pictures in context with all the others.

> 2.) Do street photographers ever consider approaching someone they find
> interesting and simply asking, "can I follow you around for a few minutes and
> shoot some photos?" I bet they'd be amazed at the photos they could get this
> way . . .

I very occasionally might do this on the street, but that does veer into
documentary, which I've kind of *done* in movies. The difference between
(my) SP and doc is that SP is not about finding interesting characters on
the street (despite all the garbage that is shot of hapless street people by
wannabe SPs) but about finding momentary configurations and insights in the
raw stuff out there.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com