Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 21:46:26 -0700

I Disagree completely (for a change).

Recognizing an scene as worth recording is nothing like laughing at it or
feeling superior to it. It's just the opposite. We record images because we
appreciate them and want to preserve them. We prefer to be inconspicuous
because we have limited interest in images of people responding to us as we
intrude in their lives.

I think both approaches are useful. For portraits, we interact with the
subject and spend hours getting him/her to display an image we know is in
there, but may be transient and hard to capture.
In street photography we try to capture the transient image without the
interaction.

Neither is disrespectful.

Mike Quinn