Subject: Re: [Leica] [leica] streets and other...
From: Michael Bell <mbell@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:52:22 -0500

Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> writes:
>maybe the point is documentation. to capture on film the way life is being
>lived by the inhabitants of a given place at a given time, all going about
>their business as they normally do, unaware for the most part that they are
>being recorded on film.

Did anyone see the movie Smoke?  One of the characters in the movie
owned a smoke shop in New York City.  I think the actor was Danny
Aielo?  Anyway, every day at the exact same time and from the same
place he would go outside his store and take a single picture. Didn't
matter what was in the  picture.  As soon as the time struck, he
snapped it.

He did this for many years, decades I think, and had several albums.
Looking at the pictures you'd see the seasons change.  Over a longer
period of time you saw clothing and car style changes.  Sometimes
there is nothing but buildings in the shot.  Sometimes a big crowd of
people.

At first impression it seems like a silly thing to do.  But then when
you are able to grasp the whole scope of it, it is quite moving.

It is a good movie in general, well worth seeing.

- --
Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu

Replies: Reply from "Eric Etheridge" <eric10@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] [leica] streets and other...)