Subject: Re: [Leica] [leica] streets and other...
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:09:28 -0700

>Actually that opens up all kinds of questions but I guess most of them can be
>summed up in this: What is it, exactly, that "street photographers" are
>trying to SAY about the people they photograph? In other words, what is the
>point?
>
>Bob (trying to become street smart) McEowen

bob,

maybe the point is documentation. to capture on film the way life is being
lived by the inhabitants of a given place at a given time, all going about
their business as they normally do, unaware for the most part that they are
being recorded on film.

while it's not my favorite type of photography, i find this kind of work
fascinating for its documentary appeal. it's a form of visual anthropology,
if you like. think of what we can learn from the work of weegee, winograd,
singh, and others - they give us a glimpse into a world which we might
otherwise not know. think of how many iconic images are essentially street
photographs (eisenstadt's 'sailor kissing a girl,' for example), or how
many of the 'greats' worked in this way: brassai, doisneau, hcb, rodchenko,
etc. in a way, even atget practiced a kind of street photography, not only
in the literal sense, but in the sense that he captured for posterity his
world at a given point in its development, a world that has since
disappeared and that we would not know had he not recorded it, and others
worked to promote and preserve his work.

to come back to your question about what the street photographer is saying
about the people in his photographs, maybe it's this: these people lived.
this is how they looked. this is what they did. it may not sound very
profound, but could anything else be moreso?

guy

Replies: Reply from Michael Bell <mbell@mail.utexas.edu> (Re: [Leica] [leica] streets and other...)