Subject: Re: [Leica] street photography
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:36:40 +0100

on 19/5/00 4:31 pm, Michael Darnton at mdarnton@hotmail.com wrote:

> I wonder how Johnny Deadman, who made the strong (I thought valid) point in
> the "Nanook" discussion that documentary movie photography requires all
> sorts of manipulation to be effective documentation, without which the
> footage is basically garbage, would react to this? By his standards for film
> work, if he considered his street photography "documentation" he would
> logically then say that what he's garnered is hundreds of feet of useless
> dreck, right?

No. Movie documentary is a narrative form, stills isn't. Moving pictures
have to be honed into narrative, stills stand alone. Also I didn't say that
manipulation was necessary for effective documentation, but for effective
'entertainment' for want of a better word. I guess I scan about 10% of what
I shoot, probably keep half that. That's a 1:20 ratio more or less. Working
on documentaries my ratio would be between 1:5 and 1:15. So the same quality
of editing is taking place.

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com