Subject: [Leica] [leica] streets and other...
From: ls@influxpoint.com
Date: 18 May 2000 17:03:55 -0700

You wrote, in part:
<SNIP>
>>GENERALLY, I find most
>> so-called "street photography" to be utter crap. A lot of it looks like what
>> I get when my elbow bumps the shutter of a camera hanging off my shoulder. Well, like

<SNIP>

Response, in part:
>I always say, street shooting is like jazz. The first time I
>listened to Charlie Parker it sounded like a mess and I didn't get it at
>all. It's HARD, man. You'll never know how hard until you try it. And if you
>don't like it I guess you'll never try it. Oh well.

You're both raising valid points however I don't think anyone's not 'getting' something.
As for streets - well, there are many of them. I basically have my M6 at all times, certainly if in the street.

Street photography, -unless- (1)candid (2)in context (million dollar march) or other times when photos are part of the piece (3)not imposing a response (hard to tell sometimes, unless a bottle is coming at you on the outer left side of the 50 line) - is not "The inside story about people in streets"  It is "What people look like when they are in a street and have a moment to react to someone who making them out to be 'reality'."  Media - media press AP  snippets about my reality, the picture of me as taken by street photographers.
How about just showing all the ones giving the finger at the camera?  It's quite truthful statistically.

Unless the situation's context includes people pointing and aiming at others what is real is not so clear. Who's got a picture of me? In their portfolio!  who am I!  who the hell is He! The craft lies in producing this interest, which is a rare and great thing.  People look and look and point to the b/w 'scenes' and give artistic status to frame #1 (the ground). The saturated Velvia Pop crowd and the Colorless Art* crowd.  Throw down these rules!  Creativity isn't so speculative, cognitive. Unless in the schools...

Charlie Parker:  he did his thing you were invited. You entered HIS place, his art, his space.  But who is that in that photo?  Do you care?  If so, it's good!  If so and then so again and again, *'artistic reality' has set in.

On a personal note it's a matter of sense - photographing people who Do NOT WANT to be photographed is not a violation of rights (the 2000 amendment) but just out of touch.

But I like and do street shooting! What if I banned myself from street photography! Please, this is just thinking not anything else!