Subject: Re: [Leica] "Quick" DOF calculation
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:14:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/00 9:04:55 AM, deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk writes:

>Bob, check out my HUMAN TRAFFIC site and you'll see I'm sometimes doing
>just
>that. Or shooting at 1/1000 and f/1.4 to do grab shots with limited depth
>of
>field... very neat when it works, and looks nothing like the standard f/11
>street stuff you're used to seeing.

I looked at your site but didn't notice many images that obviously looked
like they were shot at f 1.4. Most had a reasonable amount of depth of field.
The images that I saw that took advantage of limited depth of field looked
like they might have been shot with something longer (but maybe not) -- the
pic of the black gal leaning against the railing comes to mind. It could have
been a 35mm, though.

I have to confess I really don't get "street shooting." Without suggesting
anything about your images -- I liked some of the reportage stuff quite a bit
(more than the true "street" stuff, in fact) -- but GENERALLY, I find most
so-called "street photography" to be utter crap. A lot of it looks like what
I get when my elbow bumps the shutter of a camera hanging off my shoulder.
Most of what I see I would never print, much less publish. (Again, I'm not
talking about YOUR images). Even the best of it has a real snap shot feel to
it so I've never understood the discussion of photo techique in relation to
"street shooting."  Sorry if my comments offend anyone. Just chalk it up to
someone who doesn't have the sophistication to appreciate the genre.

Bob (a street is just another location) McEowen