Subject: [Leica] Re : B&W in high contrast situations
From: "FB" <frederik.boone@harol.be>
Date: 16 May 2000 15:03:13 +0200

Hello Arthur,
I would advise you to reduce the development time to reduce the
contrast and if you are using a developer which can be used in
different dilutions, I would use the weakest one (eg. 1+50 in
stead of 1+25).
Ilford Pan F plus is a very nice film and I see no reason to
change it. Maybe you are using a developer which is too
contrasty, that is why I stoped using Rodinal special which
gave me too contraty negatives for a condenser enlarger. I am
using Rodinal 1+50 in which I am developing my APX100 during
14-15 minutes in stead of the advised 17 minutes. This may not
be the most 'trendy' combination but it gives results which I
like a lot and that is what matters after all.
It is important to my opinion to restrict yourself
to a few films which you learn to develop according to your own
: camera, developer, enlarger, paper, taste and also according
to the situation you are photographing in. The information
given by the producers of film and chemicals are a good
starting point but don't confuse that with the holy truth.
Changing products all the time, avoided me learning during
several years.
A very interesting book on this is Ansel Adams : The negative.
Oh and don't forget, don't save on film. 10 rols of film will
cost you only a fraction of the cost of a piece of equipment
and will improve your results a lot more.
Greeting
Frederik Boone