Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W in high contrast situations
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:21:17 -0700

Your situation contains alot of variables.  First, photographic film
captures only a small part of the full dynamic range that we can see with
our eyes.  In bright, mid-day conditions, there's not much you can do except
use a film that captures a fuller range, such as negative films as opposed
to reversal films.  However, I would think that Pan F would be capable of
capturing quite a wide range.

It is also possible that your negs were overexposed, overprocessed, or
overagitated.  Can't address pulling film...it has been discussed here in
the past, but I don't think it has many adherents here.

I generally avoid the kind of light you describe, unless I want to use the
high contrast as part of the picture.  I am always seeking the shadows,
Noctilux or Summilux 35 in hand...  ;-)

- --Jim