Subject: [Leica] Viso III/M5 and thanks
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 16:42:31 +1200

Hi Folks,

For those of you who were intrigued by the Viso III and M5 issue it
has been resolved. I'll update the pages at some point in the next
week, but i thought it might be worth letting you know that there are
issues with the M5/Viso III combo for some people, and yes, Leica did
make a special arm for it.

A quick note to those who offered help with my Vampiric modem (it
really is dead, it just thought it wasn't). It will hopefully be
returning to the U.S. in the next few days, and hopefully i'll never
see it again. :-)

Here are the M5/Viso III details Jack sent through:

At 11:12 AM -0700 14/5/2000, Jack wrote:

>Leica can supply an arm for the Viso III that will fully function on
>the M5.  Although
>the new arm looks identical to the earlier one; the trick is that the
>hole where it mounts onto the body of the Viso is cut at a slightly
>different angle, so that the mirror will release just a tad sooner.
>Knowing that, it seems strange at first to hear about custom made arms,
>etc.  But when I myself called the Leica techs some years ago about the
>problem, they said they didn't know anything about it and couldn't
>help.  Guess it all depends on whom you talk to -- whether they are
>willing to take the trouble to find out how the stuff on the back
>shelves actually works.  Wonder what else they have back there in dark
>corners.

>We have this arm in our parts stock. It is part # 042-717.001-185 and the
>cost is $60.00.
>We accept Mastercard, Visa or checks. You could send your order to:
>Leica Camera Inc.  156 Ludlow Ave  Northvale, NJ 07647  Att:parts dept
>Or  Phone 201-767-5728   Fax 201-750-1540  E-mail  leicaparts@juno.com
>Please include a copy of this letter with your order.
>Thank you for using Leica Camera
>Dave Elwell, parts dept.
>
>Only other thing one would need to know is to unscrew and set aside
>the nipple on
>the end of the adjusting screw.
- --

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of
youthful dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were
the passive conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during
adolescence."

OO             The Uses of Disorder
[_]<|          Personal Identity and City Life -- Richard Sennett
  /|\
Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Film Student
Victoria University