Subject: RE: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 18:12:53 -0700

Not really.  All you're saying is that members of high-income professions
can afford top-of-the-line gear for their hobbies.  What else is new?  That
fact doesn't relegate professional photographers to the bottom of the social
barrel.

What I will grant you is that photography is an abysmally underpaid and
undervalued profession.  This fact prompts many who would otherwise consider
it as an interesting, fulfilling and meaningful career to look elsewhere.  I
speak from experience here - I was a pro for about 10 years, and now manage
software designers for a living.  I'm no smarter and have no more
self-esteem now than I did then, but I make a heck of a lot more money.

Frankly, I consider professional photography to be one of the more demanding
professions.  I have nothing but respect for those who are successful at it,
and nothing but heartfelt sympathy for those who aren't.  I've met very few
insecure dullards in the business.  So whose perceptions are right?

Paul Chefurka