Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: Robert Jagitsch <robertj@powerlogix.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 18:51:43 -0500

>Now, don't shoot me down in flames.  As I have said, my new M6 is great and I
>love it but it is not the tool for the job IMHO for the scenario above.  My F5
>is.  So, as so many have said before, the picture counts and I know what will
>give me the best chance of getting it.

As the owner of a Nikon F5 as well as a Leica user (several Ms) I
will relate this scenario:

Yesterday I broke in my M4 that I recently acquired, by taking it to
my daughter's soccer match. Frankly I was concerned that I wouldn't
get the shots I wanted due to the lack of my ability to focus quickly
with a rangefinder.  Secondarily was the question of exposure.

On my M6, I have gotten quite used to tweaking the aperture ring to
make the LEDs light up for proper exposure. This can become dominant
to the photo taking exercise, because of the nature of the metering
LEDs...if the aperture ring is as little as 1/2 stop off, sometimes
only one LED lights. The same thing happens if you are 6 stops off!
So it's difficult to tell exactly how close one is to the proper
exposure. The end result is I find myself paying perhaps too much
attention to dialing in the LEDs for every shot. (One advantage of
CLs and M5s with their analog display.)

This time, however, I had no meter. I looked outside the window prior
to leaving for the soccer fields, and pointed my M6 out towards my
front lawn. The day was semi-overcast. It said 1/125 at F8. So I set
my 135mm Tele Elmar at F8, and the shutter speed on my M4 to 125 and
left it there. I then loaded in a roll of Kodak 100 print film, 36
exposures.

With the exposure out of mind, I could concentrate entirely on focus
and composition. This made the match quite enjoyable...instead of
concentrating on making the LEDs point at each other for every shot,
or being distracted by them, I didn't even think about exposure. In
effect I was using an 'automatic exposure' M4. It was just like using
my F5...choose the 'mode' and leave it there.

The other difference is that I could follow the subjects running
around the field much easier. Using my F5 and a zoom lens, the
subject takes up the entire frame, and a fast moving subject requires
an equally quick response to follow properly. Using the M4 and Tele
Elmar, however, I had a huge amount of extra room (outside the frame)
with which to anticipate movement; it was much easier to follow the
subject with the M4 than with the F5. (This also helped me to get the
shot at the exact moment instead of relying on a motor drive.)

Lastly, I found that focusing was quite easy. It never took more than
a small nudge of the focus ring for the subject to snap into focus.
And since almost all the subjects were near the ball, I just focused
on that.

Also, the M4 is small and exceedingly quiet. I was able to take
portraits of the kids and they weren't even aware of my presence.
Compare this to the heavy, large, loud F5 with the 80-200 AFS zoom
bazooka.

I consider myself lucky to have both kinds of cameras at my disposal,
and I find it enjoyable to get good shots with my Leica in an area
supposedly out of its realm of expertise.

- -Robert

- -------
PowerLogix R&D, Inc.
Main Office: 3921 Steck Avenue, Suite A105 Austin, TX 78759
(512) 795-2978 x107 (512) 795-2981 FAX