Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: Michael Scarpitti <mikescarpitti@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 15:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu> wrote:

> About 1.5 years ago I have seen two slide shows by
> Art Wolfe, I think
> 1998 Wildlife photographer of the year. (Correct me
> if I am wrong!).
> Anyway, I talked to him about gear and he simply
> stated that he doesn't
> care about who makes it or how much it costs. If it
> gets the job done he
> will use it. IS EOS lenses were a definite plus in
> this respect. He did
> admit though that Leica glass is better when
> available. But for stock
> (which is most of what he does) Canon is just fine.
> Enlargements or
> projection, you know the story! He also shoots
> medium format (I think he
> mentioned Mamiya 6x7).
> He does a lot of in camera dupes and a motor drive
> is essential for this
> if you can't use a tripod.
> HE was just back from Mongolia after a two  week
> trip and he shot 500
> rolls of Velvia. I think his cameras have to hold
> up, don't you?
> Is he one of those you are talking about?
> Now, since I am an engineer, let me tell you that
> engineering is an art
> form. It is the art of compromise. It depends on the
> designer and
> manufacturer where the compromise is made. Leica too
> has compromises.
> Think about this for a while!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lucian

You have only reinforced my argument. Naturally, all
design involves compromise of one sort or another. Art
himself recognizes this when he says that "He did
admit that Leica glass is better...but Canon is just
fine." As an engineer, who, I assume, can afford
pretty much anything you want, why would you want to
use anything but the best for your personal work? You
don't have to compromise AT ALL. You need not concern
yourself with what "the Pros" are using this week, but
only about what offers lasting value and continued
high performance: Leica. I use Leica and Kodachrome
exclusively, and have never regretted it. My
Agfachromes, Ektachromes, and Anscochromes from the
70's are all fading. So will Velvomita. Chum, do
yourself a favor and go buy a nice Leica SLR and a few
nice lenses and forget about whatever anyone else is doing.