Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: manual focus wildlife action
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 14 May 2000 12:33:26 -0700

On Sun, 14 May 2000, Simon Lamb wrote:

> Doug
>
> Thanks for a full and interesting response.  Some immediate questions/comments come to mind regarding your statements:
>
> >>  The lens can be used at shutter speeds as slow as 1/60 sec (400mm) with excellent results <<
>
> Do these lenses have some form of image stablisation or are you just a rock steady guy with nerves of steel.  Handholding at that focal length at 1/60sec would amplify any minor movement.  I presume you are using the shoulder stock.
>
> >>  I've been in groups of photographers where the advantages of the fast-handling manual equipment made the difference between getting the picture and missing it because due to tripod fumbling or incorrect meter/AF/motor mode settings. <<
>
> Hmmm.  They weren't very good then, were they.  I always use 3D Colour Matrix meter, continuous high speed drive and AF set 2.5m to infinity rather than full range.  No tripod either, and everything set beforehand.
>
> >> no matter where the critter is in the viewfinder, even when the animal ducks behind a bush <<
>
> Some SLRs will lock focus and not refocus on the bush, just as you would when manual focussing.
>
> My responses are not intended to argue against your points.  I have now seen some images taken with R8 cameras that are incredible and I am very interested in yours and everyone elses experience in being able to produce such images.  If anything, it shows how much one can rely on technology (too much) and still not be the equal of those who learn and practice to trust only themselves.
>
> Simon

Simon,

Yes I'm using the shoulder stock.  I don't know if I'm particularly steady; in fact I doubt it.  Without the shoulder stock my photos show much more camera shake even with the 1/focal length shutter speed "rule".

I can't say whether the other photographers I've worked near have been very good or not.  On one such occasion the other photographers were certainly not advanced beyond mildly competent amateurs, on another the other photographers were in a workshop led by John Shaw, where the spongy tundra prevented the use of tripods (and the equipment requried it).

I also wonder whether continuous high-speed motor is an appropriate choice.  I haven't used anything faster than a 2 frame/sec winder, and even with that I tended to rely on the camera to catch the right moment rather than timing and anticipating the action.  Using the continuous high-speed motor, exposing a roll of film in 4 seconds and re-loading in 5, the camera is unavailable more often than not.  I wonder if a more sparing use of film, relying on knowledge of the subject's activities, would produce a higher number of "keepers".  The camera certainly would be available for the right moments a greater percentage of time.

I think it's also important to remember with manual focus that the entire viewscreen is usable for focussing rather than certain points within the viewfinder.  This has been a very handy feature on many occasions.

IMHO the warber photos on my website epitomize the advantages of the SL and Telyts.  The North American wood warblers are very active little birds, hanging out in the shade more often than not, and are a challenge to any wildlife photographer.  The Prairie Warbler, for example, was within range for only a few seconds; as soon as I made this one exposure the bird was gone.  The shutter speed was 1/60 sec.  Similarly, the Blackburnian Warbler photo was made with a 1/125 sec exposure.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!