Subject: Re: [Leica] Not so OT Nikon F5
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 17:38:10 -0700 (PDT)

I have had the F5; nothing wrong with it! I like the balance, bulk and I
wish Leica glass was available in that mount or a Leica body would have
those features. Have you heard of motor drive?
Of course, you can always get yourself an F and not worry about batteries!
That is if you HAVE to have Nikon glass.

Unfortunately, I find that a large segment of the Leica buyers nowadays
are retro minded yuppies, who tend to baby them way too much, hardly ever
use them and wait for the stuff to appreciate in order for them to be
happy they got their investment rewarded.

As it has been said on this list at least a thousand times: it is pictures
that count. The difference between a shot taken and one missed is
enormously more important than the difference between one shot with Leica
glass and one shot with CNMP (I have "acronamed" the major sellers here).

Yes, rangefinders are great machines, especially in low light and with a
wide angle, but for telephoto work?! Give me a break! Don't start a Viso
thread from this now.

And also, in telephoto photography, good AF is very welcome. I wish
Leica came up with the fuzzy logic, artificial intelligence, neural
networks, or whatever the F5, EOS-3 and 1 V have in there. I can tell you
my pictures taken with my Elmarit R 180/2.8 wide open of my nephews at
10-20' are worse than the ones taken with NIkon's 80=200/2.8. But then
there must be an army working on research in AI at either  of the CNM.
On the other hand, if I take a picture of something distant, there is no
comparison. :-)
But all these are just tools! The pictures count. Let's not be so self
righteous, the other glasss isn't all that bad. We just suffer of a rare
disease which manifests itself in an obsession with resolution, contrast,
precise machining and the best glass in the business. 99.9% of the people
out there simply don't care. Now, if I could get those Rollei medium
format slides monted..........

Cheer up! It's springtime!

Have a nice week-end,

Lucian