Subject: Re: [Leica] Similar lenses, diverge in size and weight??
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 23:27:54 -0600

The 40/2 and the 35/2 asph have significantly different optical designs. On
a purely visual level the 35/2 asph has negative front and rear elements
while the 40/2 has positive front and rear elements. The 35/2 asph also has
an aspheric lens element which greatly assists in the correction of
aberrations. This not to say that the 40/2 is not a good lens but just that
the 35/2 asph is even better wide open. The 35/2 asph is even heavier than
the 35/1.4 asph!