Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica bags report
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 20:36:30 -0400

Well, as promised, here are my initial impressions of the Courierware (see
site address below) extra small camera bag:

Pros:

- -- it is extremely light
- -- the shoulder strap is wide and comfy
- -- the padded insert seems thick enough to adequately insulate the camera
- -- The top flap can connect to the body with either plastic snaps or velcro;
the latter is quite convenient

Cons:

- -- it's rather flimsy, and because it is longer than it is tall, it buckles
in the middle when you carry it
- -- the padded insert is bottomless--it's just a circular bad with two walls
in the center, dividing it into thirds.  It is _not_ a pouch that can be
lifted up with the contents remaining inside of it
- -- I don't like the dimensions: I'd prefer taking two inches from the length
and adding them to the depth of the bag
- -- the few pockets that are on the bag are almost entirely geared toward
carrying papers and folders; no pockets seem to have film cannisters in mind

Conclusions:

Since this is the first and only camera bag I've seen, I have a hard time
evaluating it--I can't compare it to anything else.  It will do the job, but
I'm not all that thrilled with how it feels when carrying it.  It is really
too much bag (size-wise, and I got the smallest size available) for my
needs.  At twice the price of the Domke F-803, I'd have to say the latter is
the better value--without yet having seen the F-803, mind you.  Based on the
descriptions I've read here and on their website, the 803 is slightly
smaller, has a briefcase style handle (the courierware bag has none), and
has more useful pockets.  I could be wrong, but I believe the Domke inserts
are pouches which can be removed while retaining their contents.

My inclination is to return the Courierware bag and get the Domke.  I'll be
interested to hear what others (who have seen other bags) have to say about
this one.

Dan