Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Steinway was Leica R sounds intriguing
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:26:45 -0700

Ok, I bite, as an amateur pianist and a Steinway lover.  (I own a New
York-made model XR / M and a Hamburg-made model B grand pianos.)

Ok, what is a "perfectly tuned" Steinway?  Equal temperement disappoints
as it is merely a compromise of intervals.  My two pianos with different
scales have enough difference inharmonicity characteristics that they
cannot be tuned.  A piano that is well-tempered around C major would
sound rather interesting in F# major...

Some Steinway lovers have a continuing discussion of New York vs.
Hamburg instruments, like some Leica lovers continue to discuss the
differences between Midland and Solms/Wetzlar...

(I will take a Hamburg D over Bosendorfer 290 Imperial any day.)

> How about Bosendorfer Imperial? (don't pick on my missing umlaut now)
> intead of your perfectly tuned Steinway (be it Hamburg!)?
>
> Lucian
>
> On 4 May 2000, george kase wrote:
>
> > I'm afraid to say I am becoming intrigued with the R8. Saw one at
> > the local camera shop and decided to pick it up and check it out
(with all
> > the dissing it's gotten on this list) and I like it a lot for look
and feel.
> > As a pro, I've used Nikon and Hassy but for my own pix I have always
used
> > M2, M6 and M glass and there's nothing like the results that Leica
lenses
> > deliver. Period. Don't get me wrong, the Nikon/Hassy produce razor
sharp
> results that are always reliable...but they never have the "magic" of
my
> M lenses. It reminds me of the difference between playing a perfectly
> tuned Steinway piano vs. a perfectly tuned upright or digital piano.
The