Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Some of Life's Dumps
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:41:22 -0600

Julian Thomas wrote:

> I spend a lot of time looking at the effects of multinationals on local
> economies and it is pretty horrific.

Yes but someone's paying 'em to do it and that someone is us! Real
change can mean real lifestyle changes, even sacrifices, and that is a
very touchy topic with a whole lot of people. And just try and get
elected to political office by telling folks that, if elected, they'll
get LESS! What to do? Well maybe you can't always change the world, but
you can sure change yourself.

Oddly enough, I don't think this is too off-topic: Leica cameras are
built where environmental and safety standards are relatively good and
wages are fairly high and oh boy is this ever reflected in the retail
prices! This is quality gear that lasts, but it's NOT a real
crowd-pleaser. No, most of the crowd wants more features for less money
which is why some Canon SLRs have plastic lensmounts but more program
modes than you can shake a stick at.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado