Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Decision : Help
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 06:07:03 -0400

Sarawoot,

Check out: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/4472/.  Good information
on how to buy an M6.  Also see: http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm for
lots of helpful information on M bodies and lenses.

To address a couple of your questions:

> What I'm concerned about right now is the lens.

The 50/2 Summicron is a great first lens.  It's the least expensive of the M
series lenses, but one of the very finest.  If you like wide, and plan to do
a lot of street shooting, you might prefer to start with the 35/2 ASPH
Summicron.  Both it and the 35/1.4 ASPH Summilux have excellent reputations,
but the former is nearly half the price of the latter.  All Leica lenses
feature superb optics and produce high quality images wide open.  For good
lens reviews, see: http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html.

> I want to minimize my first
> investment, Martin.  So, the used gear might be better
> alternatives.  As for
> Leica, I have no idea how the used gear would be.  I mean, should
> I get the used lens or the used body?

I would get a new body and a used lens, rather than the other way around.
The CWO price seems suspiciously cheap to me, however.  I've never seen a
new M6 TTL .72 go for under $1995--I don't believe the resellers have much
of a margin on these cameras.  Just be sure the CWO includes the Leica three
year passport warranty.  Also be aware that Leica offers a $150 rebate on
the M6 body and on all (new) M-series lenses through the end of August.

You'll love your new M6 and won't regret your choice.  I also recently
bought the .72 M6 TTL (in chrome) with the 50/2 (both new) and have been
thoroughly enjoying them.  Also, the LUG is a great resource; welcome
aboard!

Best regards,
Dan