Subject: Re: [Leica] depths of reverberation
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 21:14:38 -0400

At 05:47 PM 5/2/00 -0600, you wrote:
>If a child is living on a trash heap, scrounging to survive, I doubt their
>primary concern is learning to express themselves photographically.  They
>would probably appreciate a hot meal or a warm, dry, safe place to sleep,
>and they would be better off being examined and treated by a doctor.

I'm taking them 2 doctors and a dentist.

>When you are hungry, dirty, living in fear and facing death every day,
>aesthetics and the beauty of life take a back seat.  Way back.

Did you look at their photos on the site?

>This strikes me as the kind of "feel good" project that benefits the
>benefactor more than the recipient.  If the LUG wants to do some good for
>these kids, how about a contribution, made to a recognized and reputable
>charity, designated specifically for their benefit, and with no skimming.

Please read about this project before you condemn it.  There is no
skimming.  This program is designed specifically for their benefit.  It is
the only one that I have found working with street children in Guatemala
that I would be willing to support.  I have investigated several even
spending days with a "recognized and reputable charity."  I have been
working in Guatemala for over 10 years and know the organizations that work
there.  This is a good one.  The first step to helping someone get out of
poverty is giving them self-esteem and self-respect.  If you give them a
week's worth of food, it will be gone in a week and then what progress have
they made.  Haven't you ever heard the expression "Give a man a fish and he
eats for a day.  Teach him to fish and he eats for a lifetime"?  Why do you
believe that you know what would be better for the kids than someone who
works with them daily?

Sorry, LUGgers.  I fight this attitude all of the time trying to raise
money for local and foreign developmental programs and it just makes me
furious.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com