Subject: [Leica] Re: LUGger sighting
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 16:47:48 -0700

At 01:31 PM 5/2/00 -0700, Brian Reid wrote:
>I was just in Keeble and Shuchat Photography in Palo Alto, at the
>used-camera counter, buying my 13-year-old daughter her first non-P&S
>camera, and I heard one of the staff say "Hi, Jim". I looked up and boldly
>asked "Are you by any chance Jim Brick?" He smiled and said yes.
>
>So I just met Jim Brick. And, I suppose, by symmetry, Jim Brick just met
>me. There were at least 30 Leicas within 10 feet of us, so I suppose that
>makes it OK to report here. He is much quieter and twinkly-of-eye than I
>had imagined. Like me, he has white hair. But I'm a lot more, um, rotund
>than he is.
>
>(PS I bought my daughter a Nikon FM with a brand-X 28-70 F/4 zoom.)
>
>Brian

Hi Brian,

Very nice meeting you today. Isn't it funny how the mind's eye pictures
people from Internet conversation (phone conversation as well.) I would
have never picked you out in a crowd. You, likewise, me. :-)

You certainly got the right kind of camera. A manual camera. Requires
thought. I did the same for one of my sons at about 12. It made him learn
the basics of photography.

My daughter, on the other hand, worked after school and on weekends, she
was 16, and at 17, bought a Leica R7 from Jeff. No help from dad (on the
R7) except I gave her my old 35-70 Vario that I wasn't using. She put the
camera on "P" and photographed like crazy. She didn't know how photography
worked but liked taking photographs. She's now 20 and taking advanced
photography in college, learning the zone system inside and out. As I said
earlier, she sold the use of two of her photographs to a silicon valley
company and has three framed prints hanging in the DeAnza Art Exhibit. Her
instructor is Steve Kiser  http://www.stevekiser.com/who.html  who seems to
know what he is doing.

Two of my three sons are Internet engineers. They are with a hot startup
and will be millionaires before they are 30.

So thanks for the Internet Brian.

And thanks again for the LUG.

Jim