Subject: Re: [Leica] $609 to the dump....
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:42:28 -0400

At 10:54 AM 5/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Gerry Walden jotted down the following:
>
> > And people, there is still more
> > money needed so don't stop now.
>
>Yeah, but how much is a plastic camera going to do?  Sure, I paid my $24 for
>two great looking photographs, and got to feel the warm fuzzy feeling of
>shared global humanitarian consciousness, but do I think for a second that
>sending 55 cameras to these kids is going to amount to anything resembling
>substantial change or improvement?  Sorry, no.  I suspect that ultimately --
>and probably within the not too distant future -- they'll simply become part
>of the trash heap that these kids have to live in.
>
>M.

Martin -

Please read the last page of the web site about the project.

http://www.oneworld.org/media/gallery/guatemala/13.html

There is a lot more involved than just giving cameras to the kids.  It is a
whole educational program that involves the kids and their families.  They
are being exposed to role models and options that they would never have
known without this project.  The children are required to attend school and
scholarships are provided. I will be taking a medical brigade there in June
to provide physical and dental exams for the kids and will be able to tell
you more when I return.  Nancy has been working with this project since
1991 and I'm sure if she hadn't seen some positive results by now she would
have headed in another direction.
Thanks to the LUG, I'll be taking not only the Holgas and enlarger parts
and film but several "real" cameras and other needed donations to the project.
Thanks, guys!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com