Subject: RE: [Leica] awaiting the wrath of the Leica cops
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:47:04 -0400

Brougham,

> Exactly!  Of course, I felt a little better once my insurance policy
> was drafted.  I added them as a rider to my current homeowner's
> policy.  If *anything* happens, I'm covered with no deductible.  I
> can't remember exactly how much it was, but something less than $50/yr
> to insure my M6 & 35/2 ASPH.  That was less than my UV filter cost.
> :)

I scheduled my M + 50 as well; it was $30/year additional to my renter's
insurance, no deductible.  That rider along with the 3 year passport
warranty help alleviate a lot of anxiety when taking the M to the streets.

> Yes, I must confess...  I use a filter.  I take it off when I'm
> shooting into contrasty light, but otherwise I leave it on.  Then, I
> don't worry as much about what cloth I'm using to clean my lens.  But
> I digress...I don't want to start a filter discussion or I'm sure I'll
> be banned from the list.  :)

I don't use a filter.  I've debated this in my head about as much as it gets
debated on the NG's, so I could really go either way.  I assume a filter
prevents the hood from sliding, in which case you have an attachable hood?
I don't think much of the sliding hood on the 50 anyway; I'd prefer one of
the square hoods as an attachment.

To filter or not to filter; you might try taking shots with and without your
filter and seeing if you notice any difference in image quality.  My guess
is that the only difference might be an increase in flare, but I have
nothing to base that on.

I _have_ considered putting an orange or red filter to help improve contrast
with b&w shooting.  But that wouldn't live on the lens, and so wouldn't
serve the purpose of protecting it.

Dan