Subject: Re: [Leica] Help me value this camera - M4 - please
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:55:35 +0100

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> I saw a user M4 today (I can't reveal where for obvious reasons), unpriced
> as 'the second hand guy' wasn't there. Here are the specs
>
> -- Chrome body sn 1180***
> -- roughly exc + cosmetic condition. One dint in baseplate, rubbing in all
> obvious places, vulcanite intact, back cover a bit tatty
> -- wind-on smooth and all shutter speeds lively and sound right
> -- rangefinder way out of wack but looks like a straight adjustment job
> -- looks like rf mirror has some fungus
> -- vf clear and bright
>
> Basically, after a serious CLA it looks like it might be a really good user.
> Thing is, another lugger I know bought a dead cheap camera from this place
> and so I think it might be a bargain price. What should I feel good about
> paying for this camera (mrs Deadman needs one)?
> --
> Johnny Deadman
>
> photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
> music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk
I don't know what they are going for in England, but around here (Boston) a
good user M4 is about a grand.( $1000.00) if it needs any work knock at least
$200 off, the price of a good CLA which should include adjusting the range
finder. So a fair price would be about $750 to $850 depending on how ugly or
pretty it is, and $600 would be a bargain.
John Shick