Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson 870, 1270
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:19:16 -0700

Neil Frankish wrote:

> And what about quad inks for the 1270?
>
> I'm starting to think of digital printing, and since I almost exclusively
> shoot B+W, I was looking at the quad black inks. Then the 1270 and 870 came
> out, promising even better quality, but I believe they have a chip on the
> cartridges, making life difficult for third party manufacturers. Can you
> drill holes and refill, do you think?
>
> And on a related note: is the Nikon Coolscan LS2000 still the benchmark?
> I've also seen a Nikon Supercoolscan 2000 selling slightly cheaper (from a
> single supplier) than the LS2000. Is this a newer or alternate model?
>
> >Henry,
> >What can you tells us about the life of the new inks in terms of number of
> >prints produced? What would the average cost of an 11x14 print?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Joe
RIGHT now I'm using my 3rd set of MIS archival quad monochrome inks on my 1200.
It's a little hard to keep track of the efficiently of the system. I think there
is no small amount of money involved.
But I think the convenience and results make up for it. I'm sure the 1270 has
efficiency as a reason for getting it other than the ability for replacing carts
midway. I am getting results which I have a hard time imagining an improvement over.
Mark Rabiner