Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson users group info.
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 20:49:07 -0600

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> "B. D. Colen" wrote:
> >
> > I know that Pop Photo is considered by most on this list to be the Mad
> > Magazine of photography...but it has a head to head this month of a number
> > of digital printers.....and the new Epson 1270 blows everything totally
> > away...
> >
> > B. D.
>
> But how much better then the 1200. You can change carts in the middle but can
> you SEE difference in the prints?
> Mark Rabiner

Mark, Epson themselves may be providing some clues as to what's
important in a good printer: Their smallest 3-picoliter droplet size is
found not in the Photo printers, but in the Stylus 900: A 4-color
printer aimed at the business market! Far from being a new model, it
predates the Photo 1200, 1270 and 870. But this may not be so dumb as it
sounds because it's the high quality (but relatively inexpensive) inkjet
papers such as Tetenal Spectra Jet which seem to be most ruthlessly
revealing of dot sizes whereas "photo paper" allows the dots to blend a
bit (actually a lot): Not quite as sharp, but easier on the eyes. I
doubt if many pie charts and bar graphs are printed on pricey photo
paper!

So far I'm not blown away by the Epson photos. Very nice for stills with
lots of texture--carpet samples anyone? But weaker on open skies. For
what it's worth, Bose Audio stores carry LightJet prints! Amidst the
tasteful settings and pricey boom 'n sizzle (or rather, boom and no
sizzle) are some rather nice color photos for sale, at least at the
Cherry Creek Mall store in Denver. These photos and the sushi buffet are
the best reasons to set foot in the mall unless your life lacks Lalique.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado