Subject: [Leica] Re: Pay Pal payments
From: timswan <timswan@blazenetme.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:52:10 -0400

Martin Howard wrote:
>> Paypal essentially is a "middleman" that allows the buyer to pay with a
>> credit card directly to the email address of the seller.
>
>I would advise anyone NOT to send their credit card information over regular
>email to anyone.  It is not secure, it is not encrypted, and can bounce of a
>large number of different machines (with the ability to be stored or read on
>any one of them) before reaching the intended recipient.
>
>Secure Internet servers at shopping sites are one thing, but regular email
>is a very different beast altogether.
>
>M.
All PayPal transactions are handled over a secure server. Only the
notification that money has been sent is done via email. PayPal is best
thought of as a bank where both members have to have an account and can
then transfer money to each other. The means are as secure as any other
online bank, and a hell of alot more convenient (and quicker) than
waiting in line to get a Cashier's Check.

I've got no affiliation with PayPal -- just a satisfied user.

Tim