Subject: RE: [Leica] K-chrome cont'd
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 06:50:27 -0400

Hi Erwin,

I've been reading your film test posts with great interest.

You write [snipped]:
> In my view the equation is:  optical quality + emulsion quality =
> image quality.
> It is in my view very difficult to discuss IQ without taking into
> consideration the EQ.

Given the importance of EQ in the equation, I have two questions (and please
forgive their rudimentary nature; I'm just starting out):

1. For someone whose goal is to produce printed photographs, will better IQ
be achieved by using transparencies (K25 or K64, following your
recommendation) and printing from them, or are negatives just as good (or
better) for this purpose.  In other words, are the qualitative differences
determined by the better EQ in slide film apparent in print, or solely in
projected images?

2. If the answer to the former question is that there is no difference, or
it is negligible at best, then what print film(s) do you recommend for B&W
and color?

I understand that of all the elements in the equation for high image
quality, most likely photographic technique is the predominant factor.  That
I can work on, and do work on.  But having invested in the best optical
quality there is, I'd like to ensure that the film I choose is not a weaker
link in this chain than it need be.

Also, on a more personal note, thank you once again for the help you offered
me when I was wrestling with lens choices for my new M6.  I chose the 50/2
Summicron for starters, and look forward to the 90/2 APO as a second lens in
the future (based largely on your recommendation).

Regards,
Dan