Subject: [Leica] You're on the Board!
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 16:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

"Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com> wrote:

> 1. Better film loading.
> 2. Better film loading.
> 3. Better film loading.

Take your time, Dan.  I have less than a week's head start on you, and
I'm starting to get comfortable with the film loading already.  It's
not nearly as much of a pain as I thought.  And much easier than my
old Minolta X700.  I've been loading it with the back baseplate
closed...just sliding the film down.  Then I open it to verify
everything looks good.  Once you figure out how much you need to
thread it through the takeup fingers, it starts to become second
nature.  To begin with, I cranked it before putting the bottom on.
Now, I put the bottom on, and just watch the rewind knob to make sure
it's actually advancing.

On my screwups, it seems easier to rewind the film back so that it you
can't see any through the open back.  This will leave about a quarter
inch or so sticking out from the film canister.  Then, it's easier to
remove the film, and start over.

> - -- aperture and shutter speed info in the viewfinder
> - -- electronic curtain to accommodate higher shutter speed and
>      faster flash synch (1/250 would be nice) for fill
> - -- aperture- and shutter-priority auto-exposure

But then, if you lose batteries, you'd lose your ability to take
pictures.  Take away everything that isn't essential for a camera, and
you're left with a work of art.

> - -- lens caps that fit the hoods, so one can simply leave the hood
>      extended (or in place) all the time (of course, Ted has me
nearly
>      convinced I don't need the lens cap anyway! :))

Hmm...I take it that means the new Summicron 35/2 ASPH is an oddity.
It came with a removeable hood that has a cap *for the hood*.  I
really like that.  Just stick the cap over the hook, and your lens is
fine.  I can take off the hood if I want, but so far I've left it on.