Subject: Re: [Leica] APO or not APO
From: "Simon Coates" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 22:32:06 +0100

>Could someone
>please shed some light on the various APO, LD, L, &c., lenses that exist?
>How can you determine the relative quality of different manufacturer's
>offerings?  Or is it just lore?

As far as I am concerned, an APO lens is one that can produce sharp results
at full aperture, because it focuses the three points of light onto the same
plane of focus.  I am not an expert on the science on this, but I own the
fabulous R-100/2.8 macro, which justifies this claim as far I can tell.

I have owned the Sigma 300/2.8 lens, which claims APO status.  As far as I
am concerned, this is not justified as at f/2.8 it performs 'OK' at best.
In fact, this lens was one of the reasons why I changed to Leica-R, and I
look forward to the day I purchase my first Leica super-tele!

I suppose it is down to cost again; the Leica 280/2.8 is £6,000+, while the
Sigma is £2,500 with other Japanese manufactures selling them for around
£4,000.  Could we say that Leicas' are 'super' apos, and other manufacturers
are just 'normal' apos?!

Simon