Subject: [Leica] Re: Slightly OT: Frankfurt Travel Question(s)
From: JGong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:17:34 -0700

Jeffrey,

Two rules that I consider essential:  bring lots of film (although you can
buy it locally very easily) and have comfortable clothing and shoes for
walking a lot.,

I've had the pleasure of going to Germany four times in the past year, on
business. Whenever I can, I schedule at least a day or two to sightsee.
Recently, I spent a day in Frankfurt. Equipped with an M6, 24mm lens and
90mm lens, it was easy to follow prescribed walking routes to tour the
altstadt (old town).   I used the Frommer's chapter as a guide, but you'll
easily get information at the airport.

In terms of "deals" on Leicas, the only place I've found which sells Leicas
is Foto Hobby in Frankfurt. Due to the exchange rate, I would consider the
purchase of new items quite a bargain at the moment, compared to US prices.
The shop offers "tax free cheques" which you redeem at the Frankfurt
airport (or whichever airport is your last EU departure point when going
home). It is essentially a refund on the VAT which you pay when purchasing
items locally. However, I have found that purchasing remotely means I don't
get charged the full VAT of 16%, but I pay for international shipping; when
buying at the store, I pay the full 16% but only get 9 or 10% back with the
"cheques". It's worthwhile if you make use of your new gear while in Germany.

If you have a car, a visit to the Leica factory in Solms is a nice
diversion. I didn't plan carefully and missed the factory tour. It had
happened that morning, and I arrived there in the afternoon. Nevertheless,
there are beautiful, huge Leica derived photos at the visitor center. There
is also a display of every Leica made. If you have a Leica item which needs
a minor adjustment or repair, they will offer to perform the service for
free on the spot. You can also buy Leica boutique items there.  Solms is
approx. 60-90 minutes north of Frankfurt.

My work takes me south of Frankfurt. Heidelberg is 1 hour south. It's one
of the few towns which wasn't totally destroyed during WWII. It also has a
beautiful altstadt and a castle on a hill which is a good hike or a tram
ride up. Heidelberg can be reached by a convenient train ride from
Frankfurt as well as driving.

There's obviously a whole lifetime to enjoy in that country, but that's
what little I have enjoyed as a working tourist.

Best Regards,

John