Subject: Re: [Leica] Internet Years vs Leica Years
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:51:53 -0600

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:46:33 Rick Dykstra wrote:

> So now I'm looking for a new printer and a scanner, but I am honestly
> not enjoying the prospect of spending good money on these things.  I'd
> rather spend the dough on a Leica lens that I know will serve me well
> for 40 years and then be able to sell it on the Telepathic-net to
> someone who will enjoy it for another 40.
>
> How do people rationalise spending big bucks on digital gear?

It's easy to take lots for granted now, but when I got my first computer
in '82 (relatively late in the game but then what use did I have for a
circuit board with hexadecimal keypad?) I was well ahead of the curve
and think it gave me an unfair advantage throughout college and by '85
or so, when I was including digital inkjet-printed photos in my
reports,there's no question about it! Then there's the more recent
matter of using Quicken to track investments!

I'll pretty much pay "whatever" to get a good keyboard, monitor and
mouse because they don't go obsolete so fast and life's too short for
headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome. But because I assembled the CPU
myself from ATX-standard parts, upgrading to a 1GHz Athlon system won't
be such a big deal--swap out the motherboard and processor and the
motherboard's what--$150? As for the Epson Photo 1200 printer, well, I
didn't have a printer at all, so this was no problem at all.

But I haven't paid $5K for a Nikon D1 and it's very unlikely I ever
will: This is really a specialized bit of pro gear for folks who need to
get their photos uplinked or uploaded in a hurry whereas I have time to
process photos the old-fashioned way.

Jeff
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado