Subject: [Leica] Internet Years vs Leica Years
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 07:16:26 -0700 (PDT)

Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> wrote:

> How do people rationalise spending big bucks on digital gear?
>
> People talk about 'Internet Years', but I think I prefer 'Leica
> Years'.

Exactly.  My wife was commenting that we could have bought a used car
for what we shelled out for my new Leica.  In 20 years, can a
reasonable person expect that car to still be useful?  Most likely
not.

Then again, how do people rationalize spending money on gourmet food?
It's fun to do.  :)  I put digital gear in the same category as cars
and food.  They're consumables.  Buy what you need.  Buy a little more
for fun every so often.  But whatever you spend on consumables isn't
going to be around for a long time.

My Summicron 35/2 ASPH cost more than my current computer, and that's
the tool by which I make my living.  Then again, I plan on buying a
new computer every 2 or 3 years.  Unless I come across a bargain I
can't refuse, I doubt if I'll get another 35 lens anytime soon.