Subject: [Leica] Good Advice on India / HCB story, autographed copy
From: "N.D. Koster" <mandala@mandala.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 18:38:22 +0100

I'd like to thank the gentleman who answered my request for information on
shooting in India back in late February. His suggestion to visit Latif
Precision Works in Calcutta led me on perhaps my most interesting encounter
while in India--and that really is saying a lot.

I went to Latif out of curiosity and also to have some contact sheets made,
not realizing they are strictly a repair shop. The proprietor, Asif Latif,
very kindly went to the trouble of making an appointment for me with Asit
Poddar, whom he assured was a competent printmaker, photographer and painter
in his own right. That was an understatement. As it turns out, asking Asit
Poddar to print your contacts is kind of like asking Salgado to take some
head shots for your kid's yearbook. He humbly submitted, however. Oh, one
thing before I leave LPW though, Asif was sitting at his desk in front of
two dismantled Exas and  the Leica family tree print framed behind him--an
extraordinarily comforting image so far from home.

In my first meeting with Asit Poddar he showed me many exceptional images of
his made over the years. He stopped at one and told me a story. It seems
that back when he was a teenager photographing, an exhibit came through
Calcutta: Henri Cartier-Bresson. He went there with a friend and upon seeing
HCB's now famous image of women praying in Kashmir remarked something to the
effect of "I don't see what the big deal is; I have photos very similar to
that I've taken myself."

Someone standing nearby overheard this and questioned "Really? Do you?"
Poddar invited him over to his workspace to see for himself. According to
Poddar, the gentleman really appreciated his work and complemented him. That
was just before he introduced himself, the man himself (HCB)! At that point
Poddar brought out the inscribed and signed "In India" that HCB left with
him that day. Yeah, I touched it.

I said to Poddar, "I know a few people on a certain user group I'm going to
have to mention this to. I'm sure if you'd ever like to part with that I can
find a buyer for you."

I don't think he wants to sell it.

Thanks for listening and for all the good advice,

ND Koster
Mandala Publishing Group
San Rafael, CA

Incidentally, I just picked up an Ex+ 35mm F2 chrome Summicron for my M6 for
(a mere?) $400. I did well, didn't I? I feel good. I couldn't find a better
price anywhere. Yet, somehow I feel the need for some LUG affirmation before
I  pump my fist in mad celebratory gestures. Anyone?