Subject: Re: [Leica] Colour film
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:12:15 +0000

Tina Manley wrote:
>   Astia, to me, gives the best skin tones of any
> film (and, therefore, the best true to life colors!) I've tried them
> all.  It is not over-saturated like the Velvia's or Provia's.  The Kodak
> E-6's are too cool for me.  For people, I'm still ordering Astia.

Funny thing, Tina, I have tried Astia and found it too cool for me.  I
hated it, frankly. Made people look anemic.  And I had shot E100 beside
it.  Side by side on the light table the art director pointed at the
Astia and said, "what happened, did they screw up the processing?"

Oh well.  The E100VS is a beautiful film, has the saturation of velvia,
but skin tones of E100s.  But it is a new film and I have had two
agencies tell me of problems with separations with the red level.  So I
have Kodak tech reps working with the separators to establish the proper
calibrations for VS.  Very cooperative.

If you really want neutral, try E64.  It is low contrast and designed
for catalog shooters who need to match color.  Also used by some high
volume stock shooters because it duplicates well, due to initial low
contrast.

donal

- --
Donal Philby