Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Is the Noctilux for night photograpy?
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 08:30:40 +0200

Doug,

It will perform fine at 5.6 but that is not why one buys the Noctilux! The
aperture ring on mine seldom goes beyond f2. As for focusing it, I use it
with all three Leica Ms (0.85, 0.72 M6s and an M3). It can be accurately
focused on the 0.72 M6, but it is unquestionably best on the M3.

Nathan

Doug Nygren wrote:

> I have a question which I'd like to ask the other readers of the list
> about.
>
> My question concerns the Noctilux. I do a lot of night photography. I
> shoot at F 5.6, use color slide film (Velvia and Kodachrome 64) and get
> good results with a 35 mm 1.4 Summilux and and the 21 mm.
>
> How well will the Noctilux perform at 5.6? Will it better or worse than
> a 50 mm 1.4 summilux?
>
> My feeling is that the Noctilux is best when wide open.
>
> I have borrowed a Noctilux and have found it difficult to focus. The 35
> mm and 21 are fairly easy to focus.
>
> Any comments will be appreciated.
>
> doug nygren

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch