Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M vs. Summicron-M
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 14:10:50 -0400

2000-04-14-09:12:51 Kenneth Epstein:
> I am in the market for a 50 mm lens for my M6.  I am undecided between the
> Summicron-M and the Elmar-M.  My reason for even thinking about the Elmar,
> given the approximate same price, is the size and classic look.

The current 50/2.8 Elmar is a great lens -- I really like the way
pictures taken with it look, and getting that sort of performance out
of such a simple optical design is a remarkable tour de force -- a
form of optical-designers' machismo, if you will (whatever the gender
of the designers responsible).  But then, I really like tha way
pictures taken with the Summicron look, too, and I think the Summicron
is a much more practical lens.  Let me enumerate (with affection!) the
quirks of the Elmar as seen in practical use.

 - With the shade fitted, and the lens collapsed, the Elmar just isn't
   that much smaller than the Summicron with its shade collapsed.
   Sure, it's dramatically teeny without the shade, but you'll never
   want to use the lens that way.

 - Note that there are no aperture half-stop clicks below f/8 (due to
   the cool logarithmic scale, there's no room at that end).

 - It's just slower to get into action from its collapsed state than
   the fixed Summicron.  Sometimes that matters.

 - Have I mentioned the missing stop?

Having said all that, there's just something endearing about the lens,
and I like it.  If you're the sort of person who'd buy a brand-new
Morgan and drive around in it, by all means, rush on over to the Elmar
store.