Subject: [Leica] Konica on Leica
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 20:00:21 -0500

You Wrote:

>Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:10:24 +0200
>From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
>Subject: [Leica] Hexar RF tips

>How about mounting Konica lenses on M-cameras? The 28-50-90 mm lenses got excellent
reviews in the current Swedish >"Foto". In short, they stated: -As good as Leica lenses.
>I think the 28 mm would be an interesting alternative for Leica users, btw the lens
shade looks very much like the 12504 type. >The cost is almost twice the
Cosina-Voiglander prices though (but still less than 1/2 Leica price...)

Konica Canada told me today that the whole purpose behind building the Hexar RF was
to have a platform for demonstrating the excellence of Hexanon lenses. The gentleman
there (who had something like a German accent!) said that in the 1960s and '70s
Konica had a fine reputation for optics (true) but felt that this reputation faded as
they left the SLR market.

He also confirmed that a 35mm M-Hexanon lens is coming soon and said it will be, like
the current 28/50/90, Leica-like in build and optical quality. No word yet on maximum
aperture.  Erwin P. has told me that the 50/2 M-Hexanon is very close to the current
50/2 Summicron-M in most practical shooting conditions. It certainly is beautifully
made.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal