Subject: RE: [Leica] Report on Piezography
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 16:15:44 -0400

At 02:53 PM 4/12/00 -0400, you wrote:
>How can the software plugin get over the physical limitations of the
>printer itself?  The printer can only lay down ink droplets of a certain
>size, and at a fixed density.  How can the dots become invisible?
>
>Dan C.

Dan -

 From the FAQ on the web site:

Is it true that piezographyBW is dotless?

                            Yes. PiezographyBW software essentially
replaces the firmware of an Epson printer that is
                            responsible for the microweave dither. We
replace it during printing with a proprietary
                            software broadband microweave which places the
dots of ink which are printed so close to
                            one another than a continuous tone is produced.
An Epson 3000 using our proprietary
                            software prints with the quality associated
with 6 color Epson printers such as the 1200.
                            back to FAQs

                            What is the apparent resolution of the Epson
3000 version of PiezographyBW?

                            PiezographyBW software with its proprietary
broadband microweave produces an apparent
                            2000+ dpi resolution. The Epson 3000 produces a
finer resolution black and white print than
                            an IRIS printer, The resolution is so fine that
the print is virtually continuous-tone. The IRIS
                            printer at an apparent resolution of 1800 shows
a dither pattern. Not so with PiezographyBW

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com