Subject: [Leica] Old Leica
From: "GPYLE" <gpyle@netnitco.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:37:26 -0500

My dad used a Leica llla for many years but set it aside many years ago and
hasn't used it since.  Yesterday he gave the camera to me.  It is not a
pretty sight but still it brings back many memories of my dad "the
photographer".  The shutter is broken as well as the film wind.  The
leatherett covering is starting to peel in one small spot but the chrome is
still good and not brassy.  The lens is a chrome 50 mm Summar f2 and it is
so nasty that you can't even see through it anymore.  He also has a black135
mm Hektor f 4.5 which is in much better shape but not by much.   I know from
the serial number on the camera that it is a circa 1937 vintage.  I assume
the lenses are also about that old.  I also understand that llla cameras
were fairly common and probably are not worth much as "collectables"
nevertheless I'm not looking to sell the camera and prefer to keep it as a
fond rememberence of days gone by and of my dad.  My question or rather my
interest would be in determining whether the camera is worth the money it
would take to restore it to working order.  If not, I'll still keep it as
because it was my dad's but it sure would be nice to be able to use it
again.  Comments would be appreciated.

George Pyle
Crown Point, IN