Subject: [Leica] Re: Film loading
From: David Prakel <dprakel@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 12:14:37 -0400

on 9/4/00 3:01 am, Rich Lahrson at leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us wrote:

>> I bulk load mostly, and was thinking of asking the list about the
>> best tape to use.  I've had the film come loose.  I use Scotch tape and
>> try to get about an inch and a half around both sides without 'trimming'
>> the film, as there's a chance of it splitting or tearing.  Maybe two
>> pieces would be better?

I was taught when self loading 35mm cassettes to use masking take because it
didn't deteriorate like Scotch tape. Secondly and perhaps more importantly I
was told to wrap the tape the tape round the spool core so it gripped both
sides of the film but not to tape the film tangentially to the spool core.

If you tape the film at a tangent to the core if you exert undue pressure to
will attempt to pull the tape off the core or rip the tape. If you tape the
film radially (see poor diagram below) then if you exert undue force it
tries to pull the film core through the camera back looped round with tape.
In other words it doesn't 'give' quite so easily!

O___ wrong

O---- right

Note this tip does not validate or encourage the use of undue force and no
animals were hurt during its making.

- --
David Prakel

dprakel@rochester.rr.com