Subject: RE: [Leica] Analog vs. digital - off LUG, apology
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 10:17:32 -0400

> 256 gray tones is sufficient for nearly eveything you've ever seen
> printed lately in black & white halftone - because that's how it was
> made. The image might have existed as 12 or 16 bits at some point but
> when it went to the imagesetter it was 8 bit.

I agree. I didn't see were you said you were speaking specifically about
half tone printing.

> Austin, you like to argue too much for me.  I think you have trolled me
> again.

You call it arguing, I call it discussing.  I am not trolling you.  You
made statements that I  believe are technically incorrect, or I disagree
with you on your opinion or analysis.

> My point was to illuminate the "digital and film" threads that pop up
> from time to time.

And an excellent topic it is.

> What I said was and is correct. I do not appreciate your nitpicking.
> Especially since there are no nits to pick!

We disagree on this.  I believe if you are discussing something technical,
you should be technically correct.  If I have a 'misunderstanding' on what
I believe (or how I state it, as I may not know or use the proper terms
every now and then), I appreciate it when someone points it out.  It isn't
nitpicking.

Apparently you like to believe what you believe, and don't want (at least)
me to question it.  Sorry, but that's the nature of "discussions".  This is
not a one sided lecture where you just get to state what you believe, and
no one else can have an opinion (or is only entitled to your opinion).

> Next time ADD something to the thread.

I do, you just don't like what I add, either because it differs from your
opinion, or I believe what you stated is incorrect.  I consider my opinion
adding something to the thread, and I consider correct technical
information adding something.

> Don't just mire everyone down.  Since you are so wrong spirited I can go
a bit more.
> If you MUST continue please take it off the LUG. We are way off topic.

It's a shame you need to resort to personal attacks.  I have never
personally attacked, or disrespected you as you end up doing to me.  I have
disagreed with you and challenged your opinions.  I don't appreciate you
making things personal and being so insulting, and they are both
unwarranted.

It appears you only want me to agree with your statements, and once I
challenge what you believe is correct, or your opinion, you turn to
insults, and make it personal.  If you have something like this to say in
the future, email me directly, I believe I requested that before, and you
have chosen ignored it.